Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Times, They Are A Changin'

So I kind of reworked my blog design a bit. I took everything David said extremely literally, and didn't really play around with the page elements. Well, I went back, and reworked a few things. Actually everything. I based the color palette and design around an assignment that I did for another class (this one).


Anyway, today, I thought I would post some images from one of my absolute favorite illustrator/designer/typographer in the business today. I've probably mentioned him many times, but I'll do it again anyway. His name is Chris Ware, and everything about this mans work is absolutely phenomenal. Instead of trying to verbally express how beautiful his design is, I'm just going to post some beautiful high res examples.





I saw this book cover for Voltaire's Candide in some print publication, but it didn't have to do with him, but the art director on this project. I recognized it immediately as an illustration he had done.


I remember when this movie came out earlier this year, and again, I knew right off the bat is was Chris Ware. His typography can be so incredibly retro/nostalgic, yet modern at the same time.

I strongly suggest picking up his book Jimmy Corrigan for those of you that are interested in his design style. The book is not only beautifully illustrated, but masterfully told as well. The format of this book is 8 x 6.5 inches.

5 comments:

Trevor Woods said...

Dude, Chip Kidd did the cover of the Chip Kidd book

jeeeeez Spencer, get your facts straight

Spencer Whittington-Charles said...

Yeah, you know what? I took it from a Chris Ware fansite, so I was just taking their word on it.

And what if YOU'RE wrong? Eh? What if Chris Ware did the illustration, and Chip Kidd did the design?

Hah! You've been foiled again!

Jaleh Afshar said...

Both wrong!

Charles Burns did the illustration, Chris Ware did the lettering, and Chip Kidd did the layout design.

+2 points for me.

;)

Spencer Whittington-Charles said...

Shit! I knew that illustration looked vaguely Charles Burnish.

Sarah Hanks said...

So, I'm not really sure where to comment about the blog as a whole, but I'm gonna choose here because the conversation between the three of you made me laugh out loud. Nice Jaleh. Ha. Anywho, Spencer I love the changes you made to your blog! The background is catchy and appealing. Also, great color choice. Yours just might be my favorite at the moment. Plus your puberty bit was amazing.